Monday 24 November 2014

My first attempt at Scrapbooking

Good afternoon, peeps!

For some years I have been wanting to scrapbook some old family photographs and, whilst having bought some papers and other stash for the purpose (as you do!), I have never felt inspired to create any actual layouts until I found the work of Gabrielle Pollacco.  Do follow the link and have a look at this lady's blog, her work is amazing!

Anyhoo, I wanted to use her work as inspiration and not slavishly copy so this is what I did:


It's not perfect but I'm reasonably pleased with it for a first shot and I really did have the most fun doing it!  The photograph is of yours truly (I'm the one in the middle but without the big ears!!) at age three and a half on holiday in Rhyll, North Wales with my parents.  It was ever after known as 'Windy Rhyll' in the family because everything we ate on the beach came accompanied with quantities of sand because of the wind!  Perhaps that's why I'm not over keen on ice cream to this day - the memory of the sandy kind is imprinted on my memory!

Here's a close up of the very flowery bit to the right of the photograph:


The twine bow and the little scrap of cheesecloth/butter muslin (it's known by different names in various parts of the world) are two of Gabrielle's signature touches and I just love the way they add texture.

Obviously, for this layout I was working with stuff in my stash but I have been collecting a few stencils and bits to help out.  Here's the list of what I used where I know where it came from:

Designer Paper:  Foundation paper (pink)  Graphic 45 'Botanical Tea' Collection.  The rest from my stash
Flowers:  These are largely from my stash and were bought from Wild Orchid Crafts.  They also have some similar flowers to the hydrangea ones I used here.  The Flower Vine I bought from The Craftz Boutique years ago and they still have some similar ones here.  They are really helpful at this shop and they have a very efficient mail order service - don't go there unless you're prepared to spend - the temptation awaits you there!
Stencils:  Dylusions Luscious LeavesTCW Mini Art IsTCW Mini Specimen
All other bits and bobs are from my stash - it's amazing what you find when you root around!

I do hope you've enjoyed looking at this - it's a complete departure for me so do please leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Thank you for looking today and I hope you've enjoyed your visit,

Hugs


3 comments:

  1. I spotted your comment on fb, Diane and had to come and have a look. Wow, this is stunning, I wish my first lo was so accomplished. I'm a huge fan of Gabrielle's too and often use her ideas as inspiration, she is one talented lady isn't she?
    Your photo is lovely and you have the memory recorded now for future generations. I hope you do many more pages and don't forget to share them.
    Hugs Lisax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind comments, Lisa - hope we get to speak soon. xx

      Delete
  2. The first of many I hope.... beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today. Please leave me a comment- I love to read them! Diane x