Friday, 7 October 2011

Handmade flower challenge

Good morning, peeps and it's Polka Doodles Challenge day today!

The challenge this week is 'Handmade flowers'- well that sent me into a bit of a panic I can tell you because I usually rely on Wild Orchid Crafts for flowers but I resorted to my tried and tested ones and you can see them here on my card:

I decided to place these two gorgeous friends from the Pretty Sweet CD in a lovely summery scene with the flowery fence from the Summer section of the Sundae of Seasons CD.  The girlies are coloured with my Copics but the flowery fence came ready coloured.  I have kept a note of the Copic colours and I'll be back later to edit this post and give you the colours but I have a hair appointment this morning - got to look glam for the big demo day tomorrow at Samuel Taylors, Roseville Street, Leeds!  Actually, I had the appointment anyway and the dates just coincide but it sounds good.

Can you believe that amidst distractions and interruptions (some people would call it work) it finally took me two and a half days to make this card - unbelievable!  The lovely DPs came from the Pretty Sweet CD as well.  I'm absolutely in love with them and there's something for everything when you're making unashamedly girle cards like this one.

I've got some photos to show you how to make the fowers as well so, see ya later!  In the meantime, do get making some lovely flowers and join us for the challenge.


Right, I finally have chance to tell you about how I made the flowers for this card.

First, you punch out the basic flowers from a small Retro Flower punch.  Then you take some scalloped edge scissors and cut a notch out of the end of each petal.

Then you take a cotton bud and add Distress Ink in whatever colour you need to the centre area of the flower and fade it out up into the petals.  Now add tiny dots to the petals nearest the centre of the flower- I used a Marvy Le Plume pen for this.

Finally, use a ball tool to shape the flowers - turn them over so that the coloured side is facing a foam mat and, using a circular motion, rotate the ball tool out from the cente so that the flowers become cup shaped, then do the same with each individual petal.

Finally, flip the flower over again so the coloured side is facing up and press down in the centre and, presto!! you have quite a realistic looking little primrose-like flower!

I used a Viva Pearl Pen to create the centres once I'd glued the flowers in place but you could use anything you choose.

OK, now for the Copics and Prisma pencils I used - loads here, I'm afraid!

Skin:  E000, E00, E01, E21, R20, R11, R30
Blonde hair:  E50, E51, E53, E55
Auburn hair:  E31, E33, E35, E37, E39 + Dark Brown Prisma pencil
Pink clothing:  RV00, RV10,  Promarker, Pink Carnation, RV34 + Raspberry Prisma pencil
Green stripes:  G12, G20, G24, G82 , G94
Blue trousers:  B000, B00, B02 + Muted Turqoise Prisma pencil
Khaki trousers:   BG93, BG96, BG99
Roses:  Promarker Antique Pink, R46, R59 + Tuscan Red Prisma pencil

Phew!  That was a marathon edit - I hope you managed to stay with me!



  1. This is stunning Diane and the girls look so pretty in their lovely garden.
    Can I ask if you added them digitally as the effect is fabulous.
    Hope the glamming up goes well and good luck for tomorrow.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

  2. just loving this Diane, flowers are so pretty

  3. Another gorgeous card Diane - and a tutorial on those pretty flowers. Thanks you so much. A delight to visit you as always. Hugs,Neet x

  4. Loved the tutorial on the pretty flowers Diane.Your scene is gorgeous & coloured in to perfection as usual!!!!
    Hugs xJuliex

  5. Really looking forward to working with you Diane xx


Thanks for visiting my blog today. Please leave me a comment- I love to read them! Diane x